At the time of Griffith's Valuation, this property was held in fee by John P. Fitzgerald, when it was valued at £25 10s. In 1837 Lewis had referred to the property as "the castle on the island owned by J. Fitzgerald". In 1906 it was the property of Gerald P. Fitzgerald and valued at £48 15s. The property remained in the Fitzgerald family until the mid twentieth century. It was turned into a luxury hotel in the 1990s. See www.waterfordcastleresort.com
Fitzgerald was also the lessor of three other houses on the island, which were leased to members of the Grace and Power families.