The Sherlock family had been in possession of Butlerstown Castle and estate since the 1560s. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to Butlerstown as the seat of Thomas Sherlock. In the 1790s a disastrous fire saw much of the property destroyed and subsequently the family moved to county Kilkenny although they continued to hold estates in the area. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was the property of Robert Backas, three generations of whose family lived at Butlerstown, before departing at the end of the 1850s. Between then and the 1880s Butlerstown was occupied by Samuel Ferguson. In 1894 Slater refers to the property as the seat of Thomas Prendergast. Only the ruin of the castle survives but the Coachhouse is in use as Guest Accomodation.