Bence Jones writes that this was the largest of John Nash's Irish castles, built circa 1812 for Cornelius O'Callaghan 1st Viscount Lismore. It was valued at £151 in the mid 19th century. Inherited by two daughters of the Marquess of Ormonde Lady Beatrice Pole Carew and Lady Constance Butler following the death of their cousin the 2nd and last Viscount Lismore in 1898. The Irish Tourist Association Survey in the early 1940s records that the building was taken over by the military authorities "for the duration of the present emergency". Sold by Major Patrick Pole Carew in 1954 and demolished in 1957.