Sarah White was leasing this property from the Bantry estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at almost £36. In 1837, Lewis described it as "Glengarriff Castle, the seat of Captain White, is a spacious elegant mansion". Local sources suggest the Castle was built in the 1790s by Simon White, a brother of the 1st Earl of Bantry. Noted by Leet as the seat of Simon White in 1814. In 1894 Slater refers to it as the seat of R.H.E. White. It functioned as a resort until the 1970s. Plans are currently in progress to restore the building.