John Townsend held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £45. Eugene Daly writes that the house was built by the Reverend Arthur Herbert, Vicar of Myross, who married Helena Townsend of Castletownsend. In the late 18th century the house was bought by the Earl of Kingston who enlarged it and lived in it while Mitchelstown Castle was being built. It reverted back to Townshend ownership in 1826 when purchased by John Sealy Townsend and remained in Townsend ownership until 1943. In 1944 the house was bought by the Cleary family. Sold to the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart in 1946, who now use the building as a Retreat Centre.