Jane Matthews was leasing this property from Lady Carbery's estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £16 5s. Lewis indicated that in 1837 it was the seat of D. McCarty. It was labelled as Lough Hyne Cottage on the 1st edition 6-inch Ordnance Map but on the later 25-inch edition is labelled Lough Hyne House. The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage suggests it was originally built as a sporting lodge. The property is still extant and used as holiday accommodation.