Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|Description:||Knockaderry was the seat of a branch of the Evans family in the 19th century. In 1786 Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr. D'Arcy. It was occupied by Thomas D'Arcy Evans in 1814. Lewis refers to it as the "ancient seat of the D’Arcy family", the present residence of T.D’Arcy Evans. At the time of Griffith's Valuation it appears to have been in use as an auxillary work house, valued at £35. Knockaderry was held from the Jephson family and a lithograph of the house is included in the Jephson sale rental of 1851. In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association surveyor writes that the house was not well kept and was "rapidly falling to pieces". He also records the house as the birthplace of Mary Lady Heath, an early female pilot.|
|Poor Law Union:||Newcastle|
|OS Sheet Number:||36|
|OSI Grid Reference:||R328 356|
|Latitude / Longitude:||
[ Google Earth ] [ Google Maps ]
[ show nearby ]