Lewis refers to a "handsome newly erected cottage on the island" in his description of Castleconnell in 1837. Earlier, in 1786, Wilson refers to Park, situated on an island created by a canal and the river Shannon, as the seat of Sir Richard de Burgho. Island House valued at £17+ was the residence of Sir Richard De Burgho at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He held the property, which was surrounded by nine acres, in fee. In 1894, Slater refers to "The Island" as the property of Lady de Burgho.