Sir Robert King, Viscount Lorton, built Rockingham House around 1810 and the family moved there from King House in Boyle. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Rockingham was valued at £180. In 1903 Rockingham became the county residence of the Lord Lieutenant Lord Dudley. It was destroyed by fire in 1957 and subsequently demolished. Only some of the servants' tunnels as well as other estate buildings remain. The site is now occupied by Lough Key Forest Park.