The 4th Earl of Kenmare had a new house built in the townland of Knockreer in the 1870s which became known as Killarney House. Bary states that this house was accidentally burnt down in 1913 and never rebuilt. The stable block was later converted into a dwelling and still survives. The last owners, the McShain family, left the property to the nation in the 1960s. An earlier house in this townland, built in 1828,, named in the Ordnance Survey Name Books as Prospect House, was occupied by Thomas Brown in the 1830s.