- The Trenchs of Garbally, county Galway, from whom the Heywood, county Laois branch are descended, bought lands in the baronies of Carra and Gallen, county Mayo, from the Brownes of Westport at the end of the 17th century. In 1833 the Trenchs of Heywood sold their county Mayo estate to Sir Compton Domvile of Templeogue and Santry, county Dublin, for £60,000. Sir C. Domvile had married Helen Sarah Trench of Heywood in 1815. Sir Frederick William Trench (1777-1859) of Heywood, an army officer and politican, owned a large estate in county Roscommon, in the parishes of Taghboy, Kiltoom, Kilmeane, Taghmaconnell and Dysart, barony of Athlone. When he died he left his Irish property to his eldest sister, the wife of Sir C. Domvile.
- Burke indicates that the Trenches originated in France but settled in the North of England. Frederick Trench came to Ireland in the 1630s and purchased the castle and lands of Garbally. Successive generations represented county Galway in parliament. Willam Power Keating Trench was created Earl of Clancarty in 1803. The Clancarty estate was one of the largest in county Galway in the 19th century. In 1824 Lord Clancarty is described as a resident proprietor in the county. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the estate owned property in the baronies of Clonmacnowen, Dunkellin, Kilconnell and Loughrea. In the 1870s the Earl of Clancarty owned almost 24,000 acres in county Galway as well as over 1600 acres in county Roscommon.
Property in Ballinasloe town. leased from the Clancarty estate by James Edward Ward, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in January 1858.
- In the 1870s Patrick Egan of Limehill owned 366 acres in county Galway.At the time of Griffith's Valuation he had held the townland of Cartron, barony of Leitrim, anounting to over 200 acres. In 1906 Lawrence Egan was the owner of c.50 acres of untenanted land at Cartron while the Clancarty estate is recorded as owning almost 90 acres of untenanted land at Limehill.