- James Ellis, a Quaker and successful manufacurer from Leicester in England came to Letterfrack in 1849 with his wife Mary to help improve the lives of the people of the district. He leased about 1800 acres from Robert Graham and built a farm house but due to ill health he sold his lease to John Hall in 1857 and returned to England.
- In 1857 John Hall bought John Ellis's lease of the Letterfrack estate, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway. In the 1870s he is recorded as owning 972 acres in county Galway. He sold his estate in 1882 to the Archbishop of Tuam for £3000. In 1888 the Christian Brothers were given a lease to set up a school for delinquent boys. Some of the land was taken over by the Congested Districts' Board in 1916 and the remainder is now the Connemara National Park.