- In the early 18th century the Evans family settled in Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, but by the middle of the century had moved to Dublin. In the 19th century the main branch of the family was established at Rockfield, county Westmeath. In the 1830s the Evans' county Mayo estate was mainly in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen and may have come into the possession of the family following the marriage of Francis Evans with a daughter of John Gardiner of Farmhill, barony of Tirawley. The house, Dove Hall, also known as Belgarrow or Belgarriff House, was situated on their estate and was leased to a Mr Strogen in the early 19th century. A new house was built in the early 1870s before the sale of the Evans' estates in counties Westmeath, Monaghan and Mayo. Standish O'Grady McDermott of Cloongee, parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen was agent to his father-in-law, John Ogle Evans. Portions of the latter's estate were sold in the Landed Estates Court in July 1873 and June 1874. The purchasers included John McGloin, Henry Joynt and Mr. Lynet.
- In the mid 1870s John McGloin of Foxford, county Mayo owned 1078 acres in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. At least some of his property was previously part of the estate of Francis Evans. John McGloin had agreed to sell over 2000 acres to the Congested Districts' Board by March 1916.