- The Southwell family were established in county Limerick in the early 17th century. Their estate in the barony of Connello was purchased from William Godolphin and Edward Lloyd in April 1674 and amounted to over 4,800 acres. The 3rd Baron, Thomas George Southwell, was created a Viscount in 1776. The Southwell estate was mainly in the parishes of Nantinan, Rathkeale, Tomdeely and Kilscannell, barony of Connello Lower, Rathronan, barony of Shanid and Abbeyfeale, barony of Glenquin. The 400 acre fee farm estate of George and George Joseph Crowe in the parish of Nantinan, part of the Southwell estate, was advertised for sale in November 1852. Lord Southwell, of Victoria Castle, Kingstown and Castle Matrix, county Limerick, is recorded as the owner of 4,032 acres in county Limerick, 2,252 acres in county Cork, 329 acres in county Kerry, 1,147 acres in county Donegal and 4,017 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. In 1840, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books indicated that the Southwell estate was the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Duagh, barony of Iraghticonnor, county Kerry. The agent for this property was Capt. Brown, county Limerick.
- Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' states that William Massy bought Stoneville, Rathkeale, county Limerick, from the Honourable Henry Southwell in 1751. William Massy was a younger son of Hugh Massy of Duntrileague, county Limerick. From his eldest son Hugh descend the Massys of Stoneville and his second son John was the ancestor of the Massys of Glenville. The descendants of Hugh Massy were still living at Stoneville in the late 20th century. In the mid 19th century the Massy estate was in the parishes of Doondonnell and Nantinan, barony of Connello Lower. In the 1870s Elizabeth Massy widow of James Fitzgerald Massy owned 1,138 acres in county Limerick.
- Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' states that Thomas Beevin leased the lands of Camass, county Limerick, from Sir Standish Hartstonge Baronet in 1703 and it is obvious from the Ordnance Survey Name Books that the Bevans held Camas from the Earl of Limerick in the 1840s. Thomas Beevin's grandson, Henry, adopted the spelling 'Bevan'. Henry had three sons. From his second son descend the Bevans of Lemonfield, who mortgaged their North Camass property to the senior branch of the family in 1836. Members of the senior branch of the family intermarried with the Purdon, Gubbins, Furnell, Massy and Cooke families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Frederick Bevan held an estate located in the parishes of Bruff, Dromin, Uregare, barony of Coshma and Darragh, barony of Coshlea. In the 1870s Reverend Frederick Bevan of Camass owned 72 acres in county Limerick and he eventually went to live in Australia. His father, John Bevan of Elton House, owned 1,000 acres in the county and their cousin, Joseph Bevan of Glenbevan, owned 586 acres. Lands in the barony of Connello Lower bought by Joseph Bevan in the Encumbered Estates' Court, formerly part of the Southwell estate, were advertised for sale in July 1879 by members of the Bevan, Finch and Taverner families. The estate of William Bevan, situated in the barony of Kilconnell, county Galway, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in October 1854.
- The Murphy family of Clifton, Montenotte, Cork, was a junior branch of the Murphy family, brewers of Cork. Nicholas Murphy fifth son of Jeremiah Murphy lived at Clifton. His third son John Nicholas was created a Count of the Papal States and in 1855 married Alice Mary daughter of Daniel Leahy. He was Mayor of Cork in 1854. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he held an estate in the parishes of Askeaton and Tomdeely, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick. The land in the parish of Tomdeely was held from Lord Southwell. In the 1870s he owned 1,352 acres in county Limerick and 24 acres in Cork city. His only child Margaret May married in 1879 as his first wife Daniel John Cronin Coltsmann of Glenflesk Castle, Killarney, county Kerry.