- The McDonnells were settled in the Ballintober area of county Mayo from the 18th century, where they acted as agents and middlemen to some of the larger landowners. James Joseph McDonnell of Carnacon was one of the leaders of the 1798 Rebellion in the locality. By the mid 19th century the McDonnells of Carnacon, parish of Burriscarra, barony of Carra, held the Chevers estate in that parish and in the parish of Ballintober. There was a marriage between members of the two families in 1822. They also had lands in the parish of Bohola, barony of Gallen and the townland of Sheskin, containing almost 7,000 acres, in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris. Most of their estate was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1853. Lane indicates that it was bought by Mr. Cheevers; apparently in trust for his third son Joseph who adopted the additional surname of McDonnell according to the terms of his maternal uncle's will. Joseph's mother was Eleanor McDonnell of Carnacon. A Myles McDonnell was selling land in the parish of Clontuskert, baronies of Clonmacnowen and Kilconnell, county Galway in July 1853.
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Hardiman, the historian, held three townlands in the parish of Ballyhean, barony of Carra, county Mayo. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey the townland of Ringarraun, parish of Ballyhean, was also in his possession but it was held by Matthew Lewis Coneys of Clifden, county Galway, in Griffith's Valuation. James Hardiman gave some of his land for the founding of the monastery at Errew in 1840, see http://www.castlebar.ie/clubs/ballyheane/bally2.html. In November 1887, Richard Rowland was offering for sale a quarter share of the lands at Errew as well as lands at Derrymacloughna, barony of Clare, county Galway, in the Land Judges' Court. However, due to absence of bidding, the sale was adjourned.
- The Coneys family were granted lands in the barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway under the Acts of Settlement. Thomas Cunnys of Cleggan, county Galway, was involved in a number of transactions with Colonel John Browne of Westport in the early 18th century. The Cunnis family of Clifden also sheltered James Joseph McDonnell when escaping to America after the 1798 Rebellion. A document in the Milford Papers records them leasing over 900 acres from the Millers in the parish of Ballynakill in 1804. By the early 19th century they were leasing land from John D'Arcy of Clifden at Streamstown in the parish of Omey. In 1814 members of the family were residing at Ardbear, Aughris and Streamstown. The family still live at Streamstown. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Coneys family members held land in the parishes of Ballindoon and Omey, barony of Ballynahinch while Matthew Lewis Coneys held the townland of Ringarraun, parish of Ballyhean, barony of Carra, county Mayo. It was previously in the possession of James Hardiman. In 1865 Coneys advertised Ringarraun for sale in the Landed Estates' Court.