Everard (Co Tipperary)
- Although attained in 1691 for supporting the Jacobite cause, Sir John Everard did get his estate back when it was conveyed to trustees by a private act of Parliament in 1702. By the mid 18th century the debts due out of the estate were large and the Fethard part of it was sold in 1751 to Thomas Barton a Bordeaux wine merchant. Everard lands in the barony of Iffa and Offa were sold to Cornelius O'Callaghan, a Dublin lawyer and landowner in county Cork. Power writes that the sale of other Everard lands in 1727 helped to establish the Powers at Barrettstown and Gurteen and the Jacobs at Coolmore.
- Thomas Barton bought the Everard estate at Fethard, county Tipperary, in 1751. He was a member of the Barton family of Curraghmore, county Fermanagh and in the 1720s established a wine business in Bordeaux, France. Through marriage the later generations of Barton had family connections with the Massys of Doonass, county Clare, the Ponsonby Barkers of Kilcooly Abbey, county Tipperary and the Perrys of Woodrooff, county Tipperary. Thomas Barton of Grove was Member of Parliament for Fethard before the Union. William Barton of Grove, born 1790, married Catherine Perry of Woodrooff. Burke's Family Records states that he died in 1837 but it is evident that he was alive in the late 1840s and his name is given in Griffith's Valuation as the immediate lessor of a large estate in the parish of Fethard, barony of Middlethird and in the neighbouring parishes of Baptistgrange, Barrettsgrange, Coolmundry, Peppardstown, Rathcool and Redcity. In the 1870s his son Samuel H. Barton of Grove owned 5,119 acres in county Tipperary. In 1955 Grove passed to a member of the Ponsonby family of Kilcooly Abbey, a cousin of the Bartons. The Bartons of Straffan, county Kildare were another branch of this family. The estate of Thomas Johnston Barton [of Glendalough, county Wicklow], third son of Hugh Barton of Straffan, at Cramp's Castle and Rathavin, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale in 1865. In June 1881 a two fifths part of the lands of Ballyannymore, barony of Lower Ormond and premises in Nenagh, the estate of George William King and his wife Anna Maria nee Barton was advertised for sale.
- This Presbyterian family were located in the Fethard area of county Tipperary from at least the mid 17th century. In 1703 Mathew Jacob bought the lands of Johnstown, 370 acres in the barony of Middlethird, part of the estate of James II, for £900. Mathew Jacob of St Johnstown married Elizabeth Minchin of Shangarry. Their three sons settled at Ballingarry (Samuel), Mobarnan (Mathew) and Coolmore (John). In the mid 1770s Mathew Jacob of Mobarnan's estate was estimated to be worth £6,000 (Kilboy Papers). In 1782 Anna, daughter and heir of Mathew Jacob of St Johnstown, county Tipperary, married Richard Pennefather of New Park. In the mid 19th century Matthew Jacob held land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Killenaule, barony of Slievardagh and Donaghmore, Magowry and Peppardstown, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. At the same time Samuel Jacob held land in the parish of Magorban and Robert Jacob in the parish of Cooleagh, barony of Middlethird. An estate of 2,865 acres in the baronies of Middlethird, Slieveardagh and Kilmanagh, belonging to Samuel and Robert Jacob, both "of Mobarnane", was advertised for sale in April 1851. The sale included Mortlestown Castle. This estate, plus an additional 800+ acres including Mobarnane, was advertised for sale again in December 1851. The Tennants bought Mobarnane and most of the Jacob estate. The Freeman's Journal reported that a Reverend Thomas also purchased some lots.