St. George (Headford)
- The St Georges were a Cambridgeshire family who were granted lands in the Headford area by the Cromwellian Commissioners, much of it formerly held by the Skerrett family. Their ownership of lands in counties Galway, Roscommon, Limerick and Queen's county (county Laois) was confirmed by a patent dated 26 Oct 1666. A member of the Mansergh family from county Cork inherited the estate in the late 18th century and changed his name to St George. Richard Mansergh St George employed Charles Frizell to survey his estate in the 1770s and was murdered in county Cork in 1797. By the mid 19th century the St Georges had an extensive estate in the parishes of Kilkilvery, Killursa, Cargin, Killeany and Donaghpatrick in the barony of Clare, county Galway, including the town of Headford. John O'Hara of Galway was their agent. Charles Mansergh St George also held land in the parish of Donaghmore, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. In the early 1870s Richard St. George's estate in county Galway amounted to over 7000 acres. It was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1876, some of it was sold but it was not until the 1890s that the final parts of the estate were sold to the Land Commission. Thomas McDonagh bought Headford Castle, the demesne and most of the town. After the Castle was burnt down in 1906 the McDonaghs went to live at Moyne Hill. The rent roll of Sir Richard St George Mansergh St George's estates in counties Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny show him holding the townlands of Curraghpoor, parish of Rathlynin, barony of Clanwilliam and Ballyhasty, parish of Modreeny, barony of Lower Ormond, Co. Tipperary; Ballybur, Co. Kilkenny; Gortnaskehy East and West, Macroney, Curragh More East and West, 'Curraghnafeddy East and West,' Clashganniv, Kilbeg, Shanacloon, 'Belerogh' alias Lisseenkirkey', 'Lyregilikeen', 'Lyrebarry', 'Luresolevan', Co. Cork. In 1851 he was also among the principal lessors in the parish of Ardmore, county Waterford.
- A Worcestershire family who came to Ireland at the beginning of the 16th century, who settled at first in county Armagh. At the end of the 17th century the Martins acquired land in counties Cork and Kerry and in the city of Cork. In 1743 Henry Martin, a Cork merchant, married Elizabeth de la Cour and in 1773 their eldest son, Richard, married Catherine Roberts of Bridgetown. This couple resided at Clifford and in 1795 their only child, Mary, married John Southcote Mansergh of Grenane, county Tipperary. Elizabeth Martin who married David Beatty of Borodale, county Wexford, was a niece of Richard Martin. John Martin, a younger brother of Richard Martin, lived at Blackrock, county Cork. His third son, Aylmer Richard Martin, was High Sheriff of Cork in 1831. He married Henrietta O'Donoghue of Cork. The estate of Henrietta Martin, widow, comprised of dwelling houses and premises in Cork city was advertised for sale in June 1853.
- The Manserghs, originally from Barwicke Hall, Yorkshire, settled at Macrony Castle, near Fermoy in county Cork in the mid 17th century. Through marriage with a Southcote heiress they inherited Grenane, county Tipperary in the early 18th century. In 1795 John Southcote Mansergh of Grenane married Mary, only daughter and heiress of Richard Martin of Clifford, county Cork. Their third son, Charles Carden Mansergh of Clifford, Castletownroche, county Cork, owned over a thousand acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Their fourth son, John Craven Mansergh, built a house called Rocksavage, Bridgetown Upper, parish of Bridgetown, on former Martin property. Their fifth son, Southcote Mansergh of Grallagh Castle, owned 1,099 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. His estate was advertised for sale in July 1875. Their second son and heir, Richard Martin Southcote Mansergh of Grenane, owned 2,086 acres in county Tipperary at the same time. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard S. Mansergh held a number of townlands in the parishes of Donohill, Templenoe and Tipperary, barony of Clanwilliam. Most of the land in the parish of Templenoe was held from Lady Osborne. Other family members held land in the parishes of Templenoe and Cullen, barony of Clanwilliam, Knigh and Neanagh, barony of Lower Ormond and Gaile, barony of Middlethird.
Another branch of this family were based in the Cashel area of county Tipperary. Captain D.J. Mansergh of Cappamore, Cashel, owned 606 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Substantial amounts of the Grallagh estate were sold in the Landed Estates Court in the mid-1870s. The purchasers included Messers. Cahill, Carey and Hughes.