- The McDonnells were settled in the Ballintober area of county Mayo from the 18th century, where they acted as agents and middlemen to some of the larger landowners. James Joseph McDonnell of Carnacon was one of the leaders of the 1798 Rebellion in the locality. By the mid 19th century the McDonnells of Carnacon, parish of Burriscarra, barony of Carra, held the Chevers estate in that parish and in the parish of Ballintober. There was a marriage between members of the two families in 1822. They also had lands in the parish of Bohola, barony of Gallen and the townland of Sheskin, containing almost 7,000 acres, in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris. Most of their estate was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1853. Lane indicates that it was bought by Mr. Cheevers; apparently in trust for his third son Joseph who adopted the additional surname of McDonnell according to the terms of his maternal uncle's will. Joseph's mother was Eleanor McDonnell of Carnacon. A Myles McDonnell was selling land in the parish of Clontuskert, baronies of Clonmacnowen and Kilconnell, county Galway in July 1853.
- The Coneys family were granted lands in the barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway under the Acts of Settlement. Thomas Cunnys of Cleggan, county Galway, was involved in a number of transactions with Colonel John Browne of Westport in the early 18th century. The Cunnis family of Clifden also sheltered James Joseph McDonnell when escaping to America after the 1798 Rebellion. A document in the Milford Papers records them leasing over 900 acres from the Millers in the parish of Ballynakill in 1804. By the early 19th century they were leasing land from John D'Arcy of Clifden at Streamstown in the parish of Omey. In 1814 members of the family were residing at Ardbear, Aughris and Streamstown. The family still live at Streamstown. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Coneys family members held land in the parishes of Ballindoon and Omey, barony of Ballynahinch while Matthew Lewis Coneys held the townland of Ringarraun, parish of Ballyhean, barony of Carra, county Mayo. It was previously in the possession of James Hardiman. In 1865 Coneys advertised Ringarraun for sale in the Landed Estates' Court.
- The Chevers/Cheevers family originally owned estates in counties Wexford and Meath. Following their transplantation to Connacht in the mid 17th century they obtained a grant of Killian from Charles II in 1667. They acquired their property at Turlough through marriage with Margaret O'Flyn of Turlough. Later generations intermarried with the county Galway families of Lynch of Cottage and Ffrench of Ballinamore Park as well as the McDonnells of Carnacon, county Mayo. The family were still resident at Killian in the early 20th century. Besides their estate in county Galway, the Chevers had land in the parishes of Ballintober and Burriscarra, barony of Carra, county Mayo, some of it on lease from the Moores of Moorehall. The McDonnells of Carnacon acted as their agent and eventually came to hold the Chevers' lands in county Mayo through a marriage connection. In the 1870s the Chevers owned 6,116 acres in county Galway and 264 in county Mayo. Over 5,600 acres of Chevers land in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in November 1911 and 262 acres in county Mayo was vested on 18 March 1915. Edward Chevers, created Viscount Mount Leinster in 1689, was a member of this family.
- John Jameson of Dublin owned over 7,000 acres in county Mayo in the 1870s. He appears to have purchased the McDonnell's estate in the barony of Erris which was advertised for sale in 1853.