- In the early 18th century the Evans family settled in Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, but by the middle of the century had moved to Dublin. In the 19th century the main branch of the family was established at Rockfield, county Westmeath. In the 1830s the Evans' county Mayo estate was mainly in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen and may have come into the possession of the family following the marriage of Francis Evans with a daughter of John Gardiner of Farmhill, barony of Tirawley. The house, Dove Hall, also known as Belgarrow or Belgarriff House, was situated on their estate and was leased to a Mr Strogen in the early 19th century. A new house was built in the early 1870s before the sale of the Evans' estates in counties Westmeath, Monaghan and Mayo. Standish O'Grady McDermott of Cloongee, parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen was agent to his father-in-law, John Ogle Evans. Portions of the latter's estate were sold in the Landed Estates Court in July 1873 and June 1874. The purchasers included John McGloin, Henry Joynt and Mr. Lynet.
- An estate in the parish of Attymas, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, owned by Sir Robert Steele and his son in the 19th century, leased to Charles Strogen.
- The Strogens held Belgarrow, parish of Toomore, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, from the Evans family and lived at Dove Hall.