Newman (County Cork)
- In the 1870s, Adam Newman of Monkstown, Cork, was the owner of over 3500 acres in county Cork, while Henry Newman of Betsborough, Skibbereen, owned over 800 acres. Kingston asserts that the Newman family may have purchased estates in West Carbery from the Hollow Blades Company, who had acquired them under the sale of forfeited estates in 1703. Adam Newman was among the principal lessors in the parish of Caheragh at the time of Griffith's Valuation. At the same time Charles Newman was leasing several townlands in the parish of Ringcurran, barony of Kinsale. In June 1862, property in the town of Kinsale owned by William George Newman, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. Family history sources suggest the Betsborough part of the estate was afterwards acquired by members of the Sweetnam family who had been agents for the Newmans see www.learysweetnam.com
- This family came from Wincanton, Somerset to county Cork in the mid 17th century and Richard Newman was granted the castle and lands of Drumneen and other lands in the locality, as the manor of Newbury/Newberry, by patent of James II. These lands were formerly in the possession of Sir Richard Kyrle. Richard's grandson, Adam Newman, purchased the nearby Dromore estate and left this estate to his nephew also named Adam. This second Adam eventually succeeded to both estates. Brady writes that the Dromore estate was purchased by Mr Newman of Newbury from his brother-in-law,Peter Graham. At the time of Griffith's Valuation a descendant, another Adam Newman, held at least 16 townlands in the parish of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow. John A. R. Newman of Dromore owned 6,146 acres in the 1870s while his cousins Adam Newman of Monkstown Castle owned 3,527 acres and Henry Newman of Betsborough owned 877 acres, all in county Cork.