- Local sources suggest that the Belcher family came to Bandon, possibly from Gloucestershire around 1610. Various family members in the nineteenth century entered the Church as well as the medical and legal professions. In the 1870s Henry Belcher of Bandon owned 140 acres in county Cork. The estate of Anna Belcher and other family members, amounting to over 500 acres, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1852. In 1875, houses and property belonging to Samuel Belcher, in the barony of Kerrycurrihy, county Cork, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court.