Bruce (Milltown Castle)
- A Scottish family who settled in the Bandon area of county Cork in the mid 17th century. Milltown Castle came into their possession through the 1752 marriage of George Bruce and Mary Evans niece of the 1st Lord Carbery. At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of the Bruce family held lands in the county Limerick parishes of St Nicholas, barony of Clanwilliam, Oola, barony of Coonagh and Effin, barony of Coshlea and in the county Cork parishes of Kilmeen and Kilbrin, barony of Duhallow and Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore. In May 1863 a farm and premises at Ballybane, barony of Duhallow, the estate of Lewis Charles Bruce continued in the name of Eyre Evans Bruce was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Jonathon Bruce of Miltown Castle owned 454 acres in county Limerick, 440 acres in county Cork and 25 acres in county Tipperary.
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation George and John Evans owned an estate comprised of at least 13 townlands in the parish of Kilbolane, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. George and John Evans (of the Evans family of Miltown Castle) were nephews of George Evans Bruce who purchased the Kilbolane estate from the Cole Bowens in the late 18th century. This purchase led to much litigation between the Bowens and Evans in the 19th century. G.E. Bruce left his Kilbolane estate to his two nephews as joint tenants and died in 1837. In the 1870s Admiral George Evans and Captain John Evans both of England, owned 2,962 acres in county Cork.
see Cases in the House of Lords - Bowen v Evans 1848