Evans (Ash Hill Towers)
- A branch of the Evans family, Barons Carberys, descended from Thomas Evans of Miltown Castle, county Cork, Member of Parliament for Castlemartyr, who, in 1721, married Mary Waller of county Limerick. Their eldest son, Eyre of Milltown Castle, married a county Limerick heiress, Mary Williams, and their eldest son was Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers. Their second son, Reverend Thomas Waller Evans, was ancestor of the Evans of Knockaderry, county Limerick. Most of the estate of this family was in county Cork. In December 1858 over 900 acres in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork and Pubblebrien, county Limerick, part of the estate of Elystan Eyre Evans, a minor, were advertised for sale, by his guardians. Another sale of parts of E.E. Evans estate in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork, Coshlea, county Limerick and Granard, county Longford was advertised in June 1860. These lots were sold to Mr. Cagney and G.F. Ralph. Elystan Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers owned 2,148 acres in county Cork and 264 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. Over 500 acres in counties Cork and Limerick including Ashhill Towers and demesne were advertised for sale in June 1877. The sale of many of these lots was adjourned due to insufficient bidding but some lots were sold in trust.
- The Reverend Thomas Waller Evans was the second son of Thomas Evans of Miltown Castle, county Cork and younger brother of Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers, county Limerick. In 1763 he married Catherine, daughter of James Conyers D'Arcy of Knockaderry House, county Limerick, sole heiress of her brother, Colonel James D'Arcy. Their grandson, Thomas D'Arcy Evans, held land in the parishes of Clonelty, Grange and Killeedy, barony of Glenquin, and Corcomohide, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The D'Arcy Evans also held land in the parishes of Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow and Kilbolane, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. Lands belonging to Thomas D. Evans in counties Limerick and Cork were advertised for sale in July 1851. The county Cork lands at Knockaclarig, barony of Duhallow, were held under a lease from Nicholas Lysaght to Edward Darcy dated 8 May 1712. In November 1859, over 300 acres in the barony of East Carbery , the property of Thomas Waller Eyre Evans, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The petitioner to the sale was John D'Arcy Evans. The latter had offered over 500 acres of his estate in counties Cork and Limerick for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in April 1857. Some of this property was purchased by John G. Daunt while other lots were bought back by D'Arcy Evans. Thomas D'Arcy Evans of Knockaderry owned 1,170 acres in county Cork and 875 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. His younger brother, John Darcy Evans of Clontarf, county Dublin, owned 509 acres in county Cork. In the 1870s Thomas D'Arcy Evans and his wife, Thomasina Eliza (Reeves of Belfort), held 427 acres in common with Mrs Margaret Leyne, Wilson Gun and Charles Evans of Limerick and his wife. This land in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Coshlea, county Limerick, was advertised for sale in February 1876 with lands in the town of Charleville and the demesne of Belfort.
Bruce (Milltown Castle)
- A Scottish family who settled in the Bandon area of county Cork in the mid 17th century. Milltown Castle came into their possession through the 1752 marriage of George Bruce and Mary Evans niece of the 1st Lord Carbery. At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of the Bruce family held lands in the county Limerick parishes of St Nicholas, barony of Clanwilliam, Oola, barony of Coonagh and Effin, barony of Coshlea and in the county Cork parishes of Kilmeen and Kilbrin, barony of Duhallow and Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore. In May 1863 a farm and premises at Ballybane, barony of Duhallow, the estate of Lewis Charles Bruce continued in the name of Eyre Evans Bruce was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Jonathon Bruce of Miltown Castle owned 454 acres in county Limerick, 440 acres in county Cork and 25 acres in county Tipperary.
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation George and John Evans owned an estate comprised of at least 13 townlands in the parish of Kilbolane, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. George and John Evans (of the Evans family of Miltown Castle) were nephews of George Evans Bruce who purchased the Kilbolane estate from the Cole Bowens in the late 18th century. This purchase led to much litigation between the Bowens and Evans in the 19th century. G.E. Bruce left his Kilbolane estate to his two nephews as joint tenants and died in 1837. In the 1870s Admiral George Evans and Captain John Evans both of England, owned 2,962 acres in county Cork.
see Cases in the House of Lords - Bowen v Evans 1848