- The Barringtons settled in Limerick city at the end of the 17th century, Benjamin Barrington was sheriff in 1714. In the 1820s the Barringtons bought the Cappercullen estate from the Misses Preston, relatives of the Barons Carbery. Glenstal Abbey was built on this property. Joseph Barrington was created a baronet in 1831. He founded Barrington's Hospital in the city. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his son, Sir Matthew Barrington, 2nd Baronet, owned 16 townlands in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick, property in the Liberties and city of Limerick and in the parishes of Caheravally, Caherconlish, Cahernarry, Clonkeen and Donaghmore, barony of Clanwillliam and Uregare, barony of Coshma. Daughters of Sir Matthew Barrington married Henry Barry, a Dublin barrister, and the Right Honourable George Augustus C. May, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland. In December 1856 the estate of Barry and May at Drumbanny, 1,398 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale. Sir Matthew Barrington was recorded as the immediate lessor of this property at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The fee simple estate of Barry and May at Little Kilrush in the Liberties of Limerick was advertised in April 1860. A lithograph of Limerick harbour is included in this rental. Sir Croker Barrington, 4th Baronet of Glenstal, owned 9,485 acres in the 1870s. In June 1850 the rentals of the Shouldham estate, 2890 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and the Annaghbeg estate, 1177 acres in the barony of Tulla, county Clare, held by Thomas Williams and Croker Barrington, were advertised for sale. The Barringtons and the Williams of Drumcondra Castle, county Dublin were related. The Annaghbeg estate, which was previously Goold property, was held under fee farm grant from Colonel George Wyndham and the Shouldham estate under a lease in perpetuity. Griffith's Valuation records Daniel Barrington, second son of the 1st Baronet, holding three townlands in the parish of Kiltenanlea, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare (the Annaghbeg estate) and in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. The Ordnance Survey Name Book for the parish of Doon records from whom Daniel Barrington purchased land in that parish. Daniel Barrington was married to Anne Williams. Griffith's Valuation records the heirs of D. Barrington holding some land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arrra, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Anne Barrington of Chester, England, owned 782 acres in that county. The Annaghbeg estate of George White West and William Jameson was advertised for sale again in June 1855. The petitioners were Sir Matthew Barrington and Thomas Williams.
- The Shuldhams were originally from Norfolk. In the early 18th century Edmond Shuldham of Ardtully, county Kerry married Mary MacCarthy, daughter and heiress of MacCarthy Spaniagh of Dunmanway, county Cork. Their eldest son, Edmond Shuldham, held lands in the counties of Cork, Limerick and in the city of Dublin. Many members of the family followed military careers. Arthur Lemuel Shuldham of Dunmanyway, and of Pallas Green, county Limerick, had a son Edmond William who was Quarter Master General at Bombay for a number of years. At the time of Griffith's Valuation General Shuldham owned an estate in the parishes of Oola and Tuoghcluggin, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. Thomas Apjohn of Pallas was agent for the Shuldhams circa 1840.
In 1851, Maj. Gen. Edmund Anderson Shuldham was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Drinagh, Fanlobbus and Kilmichael, barony of East Carbery, county Cork. His estate in county Cork in the 1870s amounted to over 13,000 acres.