- The Swantons were a Methodist family who were heavily involved in industrial projects in West Cork in the nineteenth century. The estate of James H. Swanton amounted to over 6000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Other family members also held estates of 1,000 acres or more in the Ballydehob locality. Both James and Anne Swanton were among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilcoe, barony of West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Robert Swanton was leasing townlands in the parish of Skull at the same time. In May 1865, commercial premises in the town of Bandon, the property of John Clerke Swanton and Jane Swanton, a widow, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. These properties were purchased by Jeremiah Coughlan, George Pope and Thomas R. Sullivan, in trust.