Nolan/ Ferrall (Lugboy)
- An estate comprised of nine townlands amounting to almost 1400 acres in the parish of Annagh, barony of Costello, county Mayo, and almost a thousand acres in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen, owned by the Nolan family. Their estate was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court on 7 Oct 1851, adjourned to 6 July 1852 (parish of Annagh) and on 27 Apr 1852 (parish of Killasser). It was all bought by John Nolan Ferrall, a nephew of the former proprietor. John Nolan Ferrall also acquired other lands, including part of the Ferrall estate in county Roscommon and the estate of Lord Oranmore and Browne in the parish of Knock. In 1864 and 1867 he was selling the lands of Casheltauna, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon and in 1866 he advertised the sale of 3606 acres of his estate in the barony of Gallen, county Mayo. In February 1867 portions of this property were bought by D. Keane and William Maude of Swinford but the sale of other parts was adjourned. In 1875 over 170 acres of his land in the barony of Kilmaine was sold in the Landed Estates Court. It was purchased in trust by Edward D'Alton. In 1876 Nolan Ferrall owned 9731 acres in county Mayo. The representatives of D.H. Farrell of Logboy, Ballyhaunis, also owned 869 acres in county Roscommon. Ó Muraíle writes that the Nolan Ferralls left Lugboy to live in Dublin following the shooting of an estate bailiff in 1881. The Congested Districts' Board took over the estate in May 1906.
- The Nolans were Elizabethan settlers in the Ballinrobe area of county Mayo. They lost most of their estate in county Mayo to the Cuffs during the Commonwealth and were transplanted to Ballinderry in the parish of Cummer, barony of Clare, county Galway. A notebook in the National Library contains a copy of a patent dated 20 Aug 1677 which refers to the Nolan interest in lands in the baronies of Kilmaine, Clanmorris and Gallen, county Mayo and in the baronies of Clare, Dunmore and Ballymoe, county Galway. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their estate at Ballinderry was mainly in the parish of Cummer but also included townlands in the parishes of Annaghdown and Belclare and the Nolans still had 2 townlands in the parish of Kilcommon and 2 townlands in the parish of Kilmainebeg, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. A volume in the Kirwan of Dalgin collection traces the early generations as Patrick Nolan who married Anne Browne in 1667, John married Ellis Brabazon in 1709, Patrick married a Martin of Tulira. Through a late 18th century marriage with Margaret the daughter and heiress of James French of Portacarron, parish and barony of Moycullen, county Galway, an estate in that district came into the possession of John Nolan, son of Patrick. In 1809 their son John Nolan married Mary Browne daughter of John Browne of Castlemoyle. Mary Anne Nolan, widow of John Nolan of Ballinderry and herself a Nolan of Lugboy, county Mayo, held townlands and islands in the parishes of Moyrus, Kilcummin and Killannin in the barony of Moycullen at the time of Griffith's Valuation. She and her husband had 6 sons of whom John Philip Nolan was a Member of Parliament for county Galway for much of the later part of the 19th century. Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' records that J.P. Nolan's younger brother Walter Raymond Nolan was heir to his maternal grandfather. Sebastian Nolan, a very wealthy bachelor, lived at Castlemoyle and later at Seamount, Salthill. Philip John Nolan was the only one of the brothers to marry. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 6,866 acres with an additional 800 acres in county Mayo. Walter M. Nolan of the Army and Navy Club, London owned 1852 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. The records of the land agents Denis J. Kirwan and Sons contain late 19th century records relating to the estate of Colonel W.R. Nolan in the parishes of Kilquain and Killimorbologue, barony of Longford, Annaghdown and Belclare, barony of Clare, Monieva, barony of Tiaquin and Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe.
- By 1876 Henry Brett a civil engineer with addresses in counties Dublin and Wicklow, owned 1322 acres in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. A very small amount of untenanted land in the townland of Cullin part of the former Nolan Ferrall estate still belonged to his representatives in 1906.
Ferrall (Co Roscommon)
- In the early 19th century John Farrell or Ferrall acquired large tracts of land mainly in county Roscommon, including the Ormsby's Grange estate, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South and land belonging to the Lysters in the parish of Cam, barony of Athlone. John Ferrall died in 1823 and was succeeded by his nephew, Daniel Henry Ferrall. In 1828 Daniel Farrell was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey Mr Kincaid of Dublin was agent to some of Daniel Farrell's estate. Desmond Norton's book refers to letters concerning the administration of D.H. Ferrall's estates during the Famine period by Stewart and Kincaid, land agents. Joseph Kincaid held two townlands in the parish of Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Daniel H. Ferrall died in 1853 and was succeeded by his four sisters and their descendants, the Nolan, Taaffe, Conmee and Irwin families. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Daniel Ferrall held land in the parishes of Cam and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone, Kilcolagh, barony of Frenchpark, Baslick, barony of Castlereagh, Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North, Kilteevan, Kilbride and Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, Killukin, barony of Boyle and Bumlin, Kilcooley, Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. In June 1859 over 10,000 acres in counties Sligo and Roscommon, belonging to Louisa Bridget Taaffe, wife of Edmond Taaffe, Henry Taaffe Ferrall and John Nolan Ferrall, were advertised for sale. Lands in the barony of Corran, county Sligo, the property of John Ferrall, were offered for sale in December 1859. Unsold parts of the county Roscommon estate were advertised for sale again on 24 June 1862 and again in February 1863. Over 1,200 acres of the same estate in the barony of Castlereagh were offered for sale in May 1867 and 1,800 acres of the Frenchpark part of the estate in April 1868 and February 1869. Again in July 1875 over 900 acres of the Ferrall estate in the barony of Frenchpark was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Major Henry Taaffe Ferrall of Moylurg, Boyle, owned 5,140 acres in county Roscommon. In 1906 Beechwood was occupied by Clare M. Nolan who also held untenanted lands mainly in the parish of Kilteevan, barony of Ballintober South. Over 1,200 acres belonging to Clare M. Nolan were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 June 1912.