- The Dillons were a Norman family who initially received grants of land in Westmeath and who later acquired properties in neighbouring counties including Roscommon and Galway. Lord Clonbrock was listed as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Lord Clonbrock was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ahascragh, Fohanagh, Killalaghtan and Killosolan in the barony of Kilconnell and Killoran in the barony of Longford. In the 1870s the Clonbrock estate in county Galway amounted to over 28,000 acres.
Lands, house and demesne at Cahir, barony of Clonmacnowen, owned by James Dillon, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in July 1854. In 1906 Lord Clonbrock held over 2000 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Clonbrock. The Dillon's county Limerick estate appears to have come into their possession through the marriage in 1776 of the first Baron with Letitia Greene of Old Abbey, county Limerick, the only child of John Greene. James Kelly was the agent for the county Limerick estate in the early 19th century. The county Limerick estate was situated in the baronies of Connello Lower and Shanid. The Clonbrock Papers contain a printed notice of the sale of lands held in fee by Lord Clonbrock amounting to about 2395 acres and the lands of Loughill and Coonagh held under the See of Limerick circa 600 acres, dated 19 Dec 1829 MS 35705 (5). Correspondence expressing interest in the purchase of the Dillon's county Limerick estate was received from David Roche of Carass, Robert Maunsell and Stephen Dickson who bought the property in 1831, see MS 35,727 (10).
- Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1912) records members of the Dickson family living at Ballyhonogue, Clonshire and Ballynaguile, county Limerick in the 18th century. Stephen Dickson and his wife Mary Lane had six sons. The youngest son, Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguille, married twice. The only child of his first marriage was a daughter who married Richard Power of Munroe, county Tipperary. The Power family succeeded the Dicksons at Clonshire. In 1775 Samuel married secondly Mary Norris of Limerick city and they had at least ninne children. Their eldest son Stephen was a barrister and Commissioner of Bankrupts and he bought the county Limerick estate of the Dillons of Clonbrock in 1831 amounting to about 3,000 acres. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record the representatives of Stephen Dickson, Limerick, holding lands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, Loughill, Kilmoylan and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid and Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam. Stephen Dickson died unmarried in 1839 and his estate appears to have been dispersed among a number of his brothers and nephews. Stephen Dickson's brothers, Reverend Richard Dickson and Major General William Dickson, were his only male siblings who married and had children. In the early 1850s Reverend Richard Dickson of Vermount, Clarina, county Limerick, held townlands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, barony of Shanid, Fedamore, barony of Smallcounty, Kilkeedy, barony of Pubblebrien and Doon, barony of Coonagh. He was agent to the Barker estate in county Limerick in the early 19th century. He married Anne, daughter of Sir James Chatterton, 1st Baronet, and had a son, Samuel Frederick Dickson of Mulcair and Creaves, who owned a county Limerick estate of 2,540 acres in the 1870s. Samuel F. Dickson's brother, Reverend William Richard Dickson of Berkshire, owned a further 1,150 acres in county Limerick. Their sister, Rebecca Caroline, married Reverend William Francis Maunsell of the Spa Hill family and rector of Kildimo. Reverend Maunsell's only son, Colonel William Maunsell, assumed the surname Dickson in 1900 and succeeded to the estates of his uncle S.F. Dickson. He married his first cousin, Frances Maunsell and they had four daughters. Colonel Dickson had addresses at Kildimo House, county Limerick and Bournemouth, England in 1910. This family's surname is often spelt "Dixon" in contemporary official records.
Power (Clonshire & Monroe)
- Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguile, county Limerick married firstly a Miss Farrell and had a daughter who married Richard Pierce Power. By his second wife, Mary Norris, Samuel Dickson had five sons: Stephen, John of Clonshire, Samuel, Reverend Richard and William. Samuel Dickson Power of Clonshire, county Limerick and Monroe, county Tipperary, had a son, Richard Pierce Power, who married Elizabeth Massy of Glenwilliam Castle, county Limerick. Pierce Power held three townlands in the parish of Youghalarra, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Their son, Hamo Massy-Power, was living at Clonshire in 1910. William D. Power of Clonshire owned 1,125 acres in county Limerick and 1,854 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record the representatives of Stephen Dickson, Limerick, holding lands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, Loughill and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid. Daniel Dixon [Dickson] Power of Kilfinnon who was married to Elizabeth Maria Odell, daughter of Colonel William Odell of The Grove, county Limerick, was agent for these lands. Daniel D. Power held lands in the parishes of Iveruss and Kildimo, barony of Kenry, Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper and Clonagh, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He either bought or leased Bolane from the Earl of Charleville. His 500 acre estate at Ballynacourty, barony of Kenry and Ashborough, barony of Connello Upper, was advertised for sale by his assignee in May 1854. The representatives of Daniel D. Power owned 131 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. In 1878 Hussey records William D. Power of Clonshire as the owner of 1,854 acres in county Tipperary and 1,125 acres in county Limerick.
Dickson (Croom Castle)
- In the mid 19th century Major General William Dickson of Berkshire, fifth son of Samuel Dickson and Mary Norris and younger brother of Stephen Dickson and the Reverend Richard Dickson, held lands in the parishes of Lismakeery and Nantinan, barony of Connello Lower and Kilbradran, barony of Shanid, while the representatives of Samuel Dickson held land in the parishes of Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam, Adare, barony of Connello Upper and Croom, barony of Coshma. The Ordnance Survey Name Book for the parish of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper, records him holding land in that parish in the late 1830s. His agent was Samuel Dickson Power of Catherine Street, Limerick. Major General Dickson married Harriet Dallas and had two sons, Samuel Auchmuty Dickson of Croom Castle, county Limerick and Major General Willliam Thomas Dickson, 16th Lancers, neither of whom had children. In 1847 Fanny Charlotte, daughter of Major General Dickson, married Baron Sackville of Knole, Kent and there is reference to land at Glenogra, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick in the Sackville archives. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Samuel A. Dickson owned at least seven townlands in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Shanid. It is probable that he inherited at least some of the estate of his uncle Stephen who had died in 1839. Croom Castle and its 107-acre demesne were advertised for sale in February 1864. Samuel A. Dickson died in 1870 and his brother Major General William Dickson is recorded as owning 8,559 acres in county Limerick and 513 acres in county Tipperary in the mid 1870s. The Dickson's county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Rathlynin and Emly, barony of Clanwilliam. This family's surname is often spelt "Dixon" in contemporary official records.
- William Ponsonby Barker held estates in four counties in the 19th century. The Barkers acquired their Kilcooley Abbey estate, county Tipperary, through the marriage of Elizabeth Alexander and William Barker in the late 17th century. William Barker was granted over 3,300 acres in the barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick in 1667 and over 1,300 acres in county Tipperary in 1678. He was also an estate of over 6,000 acres in county Down at this time. He was created a baronet in 1676. Sir William Barker, 3rd Baronet, married Mary, daughter of Valentine Quin of Adare, county Limerick and it was their grandson, Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby, who inherited the Barker estates and assumed the name Barker. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation the son of C.B. Ponsonby, William P. Barker, held an estate in county Limerick in the parishes of Croom and Kilkeedy, barony of Pubblebrien. His agents were the Reverend Richard Dickson of Vermont, county Limerick in the 1820s and 1830s and Robert Mason of Kilcooly in the 1840s. His county Tipperary estate was mainly located in the parish of Kilcooly, barony of Slievardagh but it was also situated in the parishes of Caher, barony of Iffa and Offa West and Kilmurry, barony of Iffa and Offa East, Modeshil and Mowney, barony of Slievardagh. His brother, Captain T. Ponsonby, held land in the parishes of Graystown and Modeshil, barony of Slievardagh. In the 1870s William P. Barker owned 8,184 acres in county Tipperary, 3,426 acres in county Limerick, 3,260 acres in county Kilkenny and 329 acres in county Kildare. In 1877 William Ponsonby Barker was succeeded by his brother, Thomas Henry Ponsonby, whose estate of over 2,200 acres in the baronies of Iffa and Offa West, Slievardagh and Eliogarty, county Tipperary and in counties Kilkenny and Dublin, was advertised for sale in June 1878.
- Thomas Bateson, from Lancashire, bought land in county Down in the mid 18th century and settled there. In 1818 his grandson, Robert Bateson, was created a baronet. In 1811 Robert married Catherine, youngest daughter of Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguille, county Limerick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation two of their sons, Thomas and Richard, held land in the parishes of Ardagh, Dunmoylan, Rathronan and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid, county Limerick. In the 1870s three Bateson brothers, Sir Thomas of Belvoir Park, Belfast, Colonel Richard of Knightsbridge Barrack, London and Samuel S., of Bolton Street, London, owned 2,927, 1,808 and 1,394 acres respectively in county Limerick. Sir Thomas Bateson also owned 6,348 acres in county Down, 815 acres in county Londonderry and 266 acres in county Antrim. He was a member of Parliament and was created Baron Deramore in 1885.
Maunsell (Ballinamona, Caherdavin & Spa Hill)
- William Maunsell of Ballinamona was a younger brother of Richard Maunsell of the Limerick city family. In 1713 he married Alice, daughter of Reverend John Norcott of Ballygarrett, Mallow, county Cork. Their grandson, William lived at Castle Park and his grandson, Reverend William Maunsell, married Rebecca Caroline, daughter of the Reverend Richard Dickson. Joseph Gabbett Maunsell, fifth son of William of Castle Park, was the father of Robert George Maunsell of Spa Hill.