- In 1836 Thomas Brown Brady mortgaged Raheen and in 1852 was forced to sell the estate because of his debts. The purchaser was John Harrison Moreland who bought a total acreage of 6,971 for £20,400. He is recorded as the immediate lessor of seven townlands in the parish of Tomgraney, county Clare at the time of Griffith's Valuation and of two townlands in the parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick. Moreland also purchased other lands in the county. He married Dorcas Westropp of Fort Anne and he was badly injured when somebody tried to shoot him in 1862. In the 1870s William John H. Moreland of Raheen owned 5,118 acres in county Clare and 675 acres in county Limerick. One of his daughters married a Crofton and they inherited Raheen. His other daughter married Thomas Barry George, nephew of Mary Tandy of Mountshannon. The Croftons sold the property to the MacLysaghts. Following the death of William Moreland in 1878 Richard Studdert of Coolreagh was appointed agent to the Raheen estates and his brother Hallim G. Studdert was appointed agent to the Mountshannon estate of Mrs George.
Lysaght/MacLysaght (Hazlewood & Raheen)
- The MacLysaght or Lysaght family were mainly located in county Clare in the 17th century. In 1749 William Lysaght of Shandangan, county Clare, married Elizabeth Knight of Ballynoe, county Cork, and they had a "pretty little thatched cottage" at Clogheen, parish of Caherduggan, county Cork. Their eldest son, William Lysaght of Fort William, Doneraile, county Cork, married Catherine Royse of Ballinvirig, county Limerick, in 1791. In 1819 William Lysaght, eldest son of William and Catherine, married Frances, daughter of William Atkins of Fountainville and Hazlewood, county Cork. It was by this marriage that the Lysaghts acquired Hazlewood. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Lysaght held an estate in the parish of Caherduggan, barony of Fermoy. [The representatives of William Lysaght held almost 2,000 acres at Meentinny East and West, parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, at the same time]. His main tenants were James Foote, Tim Hennessy and Reverend Freeman Crofts. In June 1863 the estate of Henry Lysaght at Clogheen and Neewtown, barony of Fermoy, amounting to 568 acres, was advertised for sale and the Croft interest in Clogheen was offered for sale in 1870. In the 1870s William Lysaght of Hazlewood owned 2,252 acres in county Cork. William's second son, Sidney Royse Lysaght, bought Raheen and 600 acres near Scarriff, county Clare in 1908. He built new entrance gates to the house and put on a new roof. S. R. Lysaght was the father of Edward MacLysaght (1887-1986), the well known genealogist and Chief Herald. In June 1876 the estate of James Lysaght [third son of William and Catherine Lysaght], at Cloongown, barony of Duhallow and Lodge, barony of Fermoy, county Cork and at Ballyrobin, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. The Irish Times reported the sale of some lots to James Creed Meredith, Reverend J. Sullivan (Tullyease House, Charleville) and James Delacour. Colonel Grove White's notes contain a large amount of Lysaght family history.