- Joseph Power writes that the house Barntick, parish of Clareabbey, barony of Islands, county Clare, dates from the mid 17th century and that the property originally belonged to the O’Briens Earls of Thomond. Barntick was leased to the Hickmans from circa 1620s and by the mid 17th century they held other townlands in the parish. Moland’s survey states that Barntick had on it ‘a good house, stable, barn and other out houses’. By the mid 18th century the Hickmans owned almost 3,000 acres in the parishes of Clareabbey and Killone, barony of Islands and controlled the village of Clare. They also held land in many other parishes but by the end of the 1750s their estates were heavily mortgaged. Colonel Robert Hickman of Barntick died without heirs in 1757 and his estates were sold in 1763. The purchasers in the parishes of Clareabbey and Killone included Sir Lucius O’Brien and others and involved a legal dispute with Poole Hickman of the Kilmore branch of the family. The Peacocke family bought Barntick and Ballaghafadda and the town of Clare.
- Burke records the purchase by George Peacocke of an estate in the barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick, in the reign of Charles II. From his nephew descend the Peacock of Graige and Fort Etna, county Limerick and Barntic, county Clare. The Peacocke family owned an estate centred on Barntick, county Clare, in the second half of the 18th century and the early 19th century. George Peacocke bought the property from the sale of the Hickman estate in the 1760s. He died in 1773 and was succeeded by his son Joseph who was a Justice of the Peace and at one time High Sheriff of county Clare. Joseph Peacocke was knighted in 1800 for his support of the Act of Union and died in 1812. The estate was divided between his two sons Sir Nathaniel and the Reverend William. By the 1820s the estate was put up for sale by the Court of Chancery. Joseph Power writes that it was about this time that the Roche family of Carass, county Limerick purchased the property. Sir Francis Peacocke 3rd Baronet still owned some land in the parish of Crecora, barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
- Sir Robert Kane, President of the Royal Irish Academy, President of Queen's College, Cork and a Commissioner of National Education was the son of John Kane of Dublin. In the 1870s he is recorded as the owner of 2,539 acres in county Clare. He became entitled to a charge on the lands of Glendree, parish of Tulla, barony of Tulla Upper, set up by Sir Joseph Peacock in 1811. In July 1862 Edward Acton Gibbon assignee of William Halpin advertised the sale of the lands of Glandree. The Halpin interest was sold to Mr Smith for £520. Evelyn Henry Frederick Pocklington also held an interest in these lands.
Peacocke (Fort Etna)
- George Peacocke was granted over 1,500 acres in the barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick in 1666. Septimus Peacocke was the fifth son of James Peacocke of Graige and Fort Etna, county Limerick. In 1720 James leased Fort Etna to his stepson, Thomas Goodricke, who left his interest in Fort Etna to Septimus by his will dated 1741. Members of the Peacocke family, including Sir Francis Peacocke of Barntic, county Clare, owned townlands in the parishes of Crecora, Killanahan and Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Villiers Peacocke of Dooneen was descended from Edmund Peacocke who married Alice Ponsonby of Crotta in 1718. Edmund was connected to the Peacockes of Fort Etna. In 1803 Villiers Peacocke married Ellen, daughter of John Purcell of High Fort, county Cork, and had a number of children. In 1835 Thomas Goodricke Peacock married Sarah Leslie and they had three sons, Goodricke Thomas of Fort William, Peter Leslie of Fort Etna and Charles Henry of Belmont, county Wexford. G.F[T?]. Peacock of Dublin owned 647 acres and Thomas G. Peacock of Paris owned 33 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.