Boyle (Earl of Cork and Orrery)
- Richard Boyle was created 1st Earl of Cork in the 1620s. The Earl of Cork’s main estates were in counties Cork and Waterford but the estate also owned significant property in county Kerry, including lands in the baronies of Corkaguiny and Dunkerron South. Smith indicates that these were purchased from John Chapman and John Stone, the original grantees after the Desmond rebellion. Roger Boyle, a younger son of the 1st Earl of Cork, was created Earl of Orrery in 1660 and was granted lands in counties Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Kilkenny in 1666 amounting to almost 14,000 acres. Roger's great grandson, John Boyle, 5th Earl of Orrery, succeeded as 5th Earl of Cork in 1753. At this time the Lismore estate and estates in England, previously part of the Boyle estate, passed to the Cavendish family. In 1748 William Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington and later 4th Duke of Devonshire, married Charlotte Boyle, only surviving child of the 3rd Earl of Burlington and 4th Earl of Cork. The Earls of Shannon descend from a younger brother of Roger, 2nd Earl of Orrery. Richard Boyle 1st Earl of Cork had been succeeded by his son Richard [who was the 2nd Earl of Cork and 1st Earl of Burlington]. It was his grandson Richard, 4th Earl, who died without male heirs in 1753. The Lismore Castle Papers now in the National Library contain extensive documentation relating to the Earl of Cork's Irish estates in the first half of the 18th century. In 1840, the Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that some of the Boyle estate in the barony of Corkaguiny, county Kerry, was leased to Clara Hussey and that Daniel Leahy acted as agent. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, the O’Connell property at Derrynane was being leased from this estate by Maurice O’Connell. In the mid 19th century the Earl of Cork's county Cork estate was in the parishes of Kilbrin, Knocktemple, Tullylease and Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow, Ballyhay, Rathgoggan and Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, St Marys Shandon, barony of Cork. In the 1870s, when the Earl’s main address was at Frome in Somerset, England, his property in Kerry amounted to over 11,500 acres as well as over 20,000 acres in county Cork and 3,000 acres in county Limerick. His county Limerick estate was in the parishes of Askeaton, barony of Connello Lower, Cloncagh, barony of Connello Upper, Kilmoylan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Hacymys, barony of Coshma. Over 1100 acres of the Earl's estate in Kerry, including the Blasket Islands, was acquired by the Congested Districts Board in 1907. The Boyle family, Earls of Cork, acquired some of the O'Hara lands in county Sligo in the 17th century. Some of these were later sold in the early 18th century to pay the debts of Charles Boyle, 3rd Earl of Cork.
Morgan (Old Abbey)
- This family of Welsh origin was established in the county Limerick locality by the mid 17th century, a number of family members were clergymen in the established church. By the early 18th century James Morgan was living in the parish of Dunmoylan, barony of Shanid where Dore writes he was agent to Chichester Phillips for the Earl of Cork's lands around Askeaton. His grandson, John Morgan of Dunmoylan, married Mary Hodges of Shanagolden, a cousin of George Hodges of Old Abbey. Their son, George Morgan, was living at Old Abbey by 1814. George Hodges and John Morgan are recorded as proprietors of the townland of Park in the Ordnance Survey Name Books. Griffith's Valuation records his son, John Morgan, holding two townlands in the parish of Dunmoylan and in the 1870s John Morgan of Park, Shanagolden owned 342 acres in county Limerick.
Boyle (Earl of Shannon)
- Henry Boyle, a descendent of Richard Boyle, first Earl of Cork, was created Earl of Shannon, baron of Castlemartyr and Viscount Boyle of Bandon in 1756. The Earls of Shannon, whose seat was at Castlemartyr, county Cork, owned over 11,000 acres in the county in the 1870s. The "Ladies Boyle", resident in Courtmacsherry, owned over 7000 acres between them at the same time. The estate was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballymodan, Desert, Kilgarriff, Kilnagross and Templebryan in East Carbery, Abbeymahon, Island and Lislee, barony of Ibane & Barryroe and Tracton, barony of Kinalea, Ballyoughtera, Bohillane, Cloyne, Ightermurragh and Mogeely, barony of Imokilly, Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow, Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, all in county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. At the same time, the estate held townlands in the parish of Kilwatermoy, barony of Coshmore and Coshbride, county Waterford. In 1852, over 5000 acres of the Cork estate, including large portions of Bandon town, and 1400 acres of the Waterford estate were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court.
- In 1753 the Cavendish family, Dukes of Devonshire, inherited the Lismore estate, mainly located in county Waterford, following the death of the 4th Earl of Cork [and 3rd Earl of Burlington], father-in-law to the then Marquess of Hartington, later 4th Duke of Devonshire. In 1748 the Marquess had married Charlotte Boyle, only surviving child of the 4th Earl of Cork. In the 1870s, the estate of the Dukes of Devonshire in Ireland amounted to over 60,000 acres, including over 32,500 acres in county Cork and over 27,400 in county Waterford. The estate was a principal lessor in the county Cork parishes of Desertserges, barony of East Carbery, Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, Gortroe, barony of Barrymore, Brinny, Kilbrogan, Killowen, Murragh and Templemartin, barony of Kinalmeaky, Youghal, barony of Imokilly, St Finbarrs, barony of Cork, Aghera, Britway, Knockmourne, barony of Kinnatalloon but principally in the parishes of Ballynoe and Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In addition, the Ordnance Survey Name Books of 1840 record the Duke as the proprietor of a townland in the parish of Corroge, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In 1861, the Duke offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court, houses in Dungarvan and Waterford City.
Families such as the O'Neills and Kirbys held large acreages from the Duke of Devonshire in the mid 19th century. Henry Eeles was agent to the Burlington later Devonshire estate in the 18th century. The Cavendish family continue to own property in and around the town of Lismore, county Waterford, including Lismore Castle.
Sanders (Charleville Park)
- ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that William Sanders of Charleville, county Cork, held The Park from the Boyles on a lease for ever dated 20 Sept 1697. The house was built by Christopher Sanders in the latter half of the 18th century. Charleville Park was also known as Sanders' Park. In 1790 Robert Stevelly Sanders marrried Elizabeth Knight and the Sanders inherited some of the Knight estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Sanders held land in the parish of Ballingaddy, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, while the Sanders' county Cork estate was located in the parishes of Aglishdrinagh, Liscarroll, Ballyhay and Rathgoggan, barony of Orrery and Kilmore. In the 1870s Thomas Sanders of Sanders' Park, Charleville, owed 1,024 acres in county Cork and 942 acres in county Limerick. By the late 19th century this family was mainly located in Surrey.