- Gregory Hickman was an English merchant in the south of England in the first half of the 17th century. He married twice, the Hickmans of Barntic, barony of Islands, county Clare were descended from his first marriage and the Hickmans of Ballyket, Brickhill, Kilmore and Fenloe, county Clare, from his second marriage. Henry Hickman, youngest son of Gregory Hickman, settled at Ballyket and his youngest son Hugh founded the Hickman family of Fenloe. Hugh had two sons Luke of Fenloe and Thomas of Brickhill. The family connection with Fenloe ceased in the second decade of the 20th century. Hugh Palliser Hickman of Fenloe owned over 3,000 acres in county Clare in the 1870s, although he resided at Fenloe, parish of Tomfinlough, barony of Bunratty Lower, which he held from William Westby, most of his estate was in the parishes of Kilballyowen and Kilmacduane, barony of Moyarta.
- This branch of the Hickman family is descended from George Hickman, second son of Henry Hickman of Ballykett, Kilrush, county Clare (died 1713), and older brother of Hugh Hickman of Fenloe. George married Jane Fox and had three sons, the eldest of whom was Anthony Hickman of Ballykett who married Eleanor Finch. George's sister Katherine married Edward Van Hogart of nearby Querrin. In 1773 Henrietta Hickman daughter of Anthony married James Fitzgerald Massy. In the mid 19th century the representatives of Anthony Hickman held an estate in the parishes of Moyarta and Kilfearagh, barony of Moyarta and Kilmanaheen, barony of Corcomroe, county Clare.
- This branch of the Studdert family was established at Dangananella, just outside Cooraclare, in the parish of Kilmacduane, barony of Moyarta, county Clare, from the late 18th century. They intermarried with the Moroneys, Cullinans, Coxs and Brews. Members of this family also lived at Doonmore, parish of Killard, barony of Ibrickane and intermarried with the Copland family. Jonas Studdert held lands in the parish of Kilballyowen, barony of Moyarta at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s Jonas Studdert of Dangananella and other family members owned about 1,000 acres in county Clare. By 1916 Jonas's son Thomas George Handcock Studdert had agreed to sell 418 acres of tenanted land to the Congested Districts' Board.
- Joseph Power writes that the house Barntick, parish of Clareabbey, barony of Islands, county Clare, dates from the mid 17th century and that the property originally belonged to the O’Briens Earls of Thomond. Barntick was leased to the Hickmans from circa 1620s and by the mid 17th century they held other townlands in the parish. Moland’s survey states that Barntick had on it ‘a good house, stable, barn and other out houses’. By the mid 18th century the Hickmans owned almost 3,000 acres in the parishes of Clareabbey and Killone, barony of Islands and controlled the village of Clare. They also held land in many other parishes but by the end of the 1750s their estates were heavily mortgaged. Colonel Robert Hickman of Barntick died without heirs in 1757 and his estates were sold in 1763. The purchasers in the parishes of Clareabbey and Killone included Sir Lucius O’Brien and others and involved a legal dispute with Poole Hickman of the Kilmore branch of the family. The Peacocke family bought Barntick and Ballaghafadda and the town of Clare.
- By his second marriage Gregory Hickman, merchant of Hamburgh, had three sons. The eldest, Walter, founded the Kilmore branch of the family. Walter Hickman of Kilmore, parish of Killimer, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, had a son Henry who married Margaret, daughter of Sir William Poole of Poole Hall, Devon. Henry and Margaret had three sons, Poole, Henry and William. Margaret Hickman died in 1707. A descendant of one of these sons, Poole Hickman of Kilmore, married Letitia Browne of New Grove. He was High Sheriff of county Clare in 1782. They had a son Poole (1783-1842) and three daughters Letitia, Anne (Browne) and Mary (O’Dwyer). Anne Hickman married her first cousin, Edmond Browne of New Grove, in 1798. In 1824, Mary Browne, daughter of Edmond and Anne Browne, married Francis Gore and their descendants eventually inherited the Hickman estate by the will of Anne’s brother, Poole Hickman, who died in 1842. He was succeeded by his sister, Letitia Hickman, who held an estate comprised of at least nine townlands in the parishes of Killimer and Kilmurry at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. The sale rental of the Kilmore estate dated January 1852 shows that the estate had been much larger, consisting of over 18 townlands and amounting to about 4,800 Irish acres. Marcus Keane bought about 1,000 acres of this estate at Enogh, barony of Moyarta. The Freeman's Journal provides details of the purchasers of other lots though the sale of some was adjourned due to insufficient bidding. Letitia Hickman died in 1861. The following website gives a history of the Hickman family and Kilmore House: http://www.markhams-of-derryguiha.com/id24.html.