- Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904) traces the descent of this family from William Murphy of Mount Merrion, county Dublin and of Kilbrew, county Meath, born 1771. James Murphy was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Baslick, barony of Castlereagh and Elphin, barony of Roscommon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The representatives of William Murphy were principal lessors in the parish of Tibohine, barony of Frenchpark at the same time and also held land in the parish of Shankill, barony of Roscommon. William Murphy, with an address at Mount Merrion, Dublin, held over 4500 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. His brother, John Murphy of Dublin, owned 5,362 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Cork, Westmeath and Limerick. 5,416 acres, the estate of John Christopher Murphy, was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 18 July 1906. Major R. Brudenell Murphy had accepted final offers from the Congested Districts' Board for large portions of his estate in county Roscommon by 1916. In the early 20th century the family seat was at Sullimore, Rathangan, county Kildare. This family intermarried with the O'Conors of Mount Druid and the Blakes of Ballinafad. Gormley writes that the Murphys were Dublin cattle dealers who never resided in the locality and that Mark Blake of Hollymount, county Mayo was their agent [probably Mark Blake of Ballinafad, brother-in-law of William Murphy]. This family may also have held land in the parish of Donaghpatrick, county Galway.
- Joseph Plunket of Carrowreagh and Patrick Plunket of Braiscan are recorded as gentlemen in the Census of Elphin in 1749. Gormley states that the Plunketts were given lands in Roscommon under the Cromwellian settlement but that they lost much of this land to the Knox family after the Williamite Wars. The Knox lands were later purchased by the Murphy family who sold it to the Congested Districts Board in the early 1900s. In July 1853 Richard Hume Lawder, assignee of Richard Plunkett, advertised for sale 529 acres including Ardkenna and Corbally which were held on a lease dated 1June 1793 from Thomas Connolly to Richard Plunkett. Patrick Moran was the petitioner. These townlands were offered for sale again in the Land Judges' Court in January 1889, this time by H.C. Plunkett. The sale was adjourned to allow private bids to be entered.
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Egan held townlands in the parishes of Kilcooley and Kiltrustan, barony and county of Roscommon.