- The Brady family in county Clare were descended from Hugh Brady, post-Reformation bishop of Meath. The family were associated with several county Clare houses including Williamstadt and Raheen, near Tuamgraney. William Brady of Williamstadt was the second son of Henry Brady and his wife Mary Molony. In 1790 he bought land in the Whitegate locality of county Galway from the Croasdailes. William's granddaughter Mary succeeded to Williamstadt in 1817 and she married Dr Francis Cornelius Sampson in 1833. The estate of Hugh Brady, principally situated in the barony of Tulla, county Clare but with lands in the barony of Leitrim, county Galway, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in November 1854. Hugh Brady is recorded as the principal lessor in the parish of Kilbarron, barony of Leitrim, county Galway, in Griffith's Valuation.
- In the 1870s Francis Sampson, MD, was the owner of over 1400 acres in county Galway and over 400 acres in county Clare. His address is given as Williamstadt, Whitegate. He appears to have been in possession of the Blake estate at Meelick in the parish of Clonrush in the 1850s although this property is described as "in chancery" in Griffith's Valuation. In 1906 125 acres of untenanted land and a herd's house at Drummaan West were in the possession of Francis C. Sampson. Dr Francis C. Sampson was a grandson of John Sampson who married Marcella O'Callaghan. Dr Sampson practiced in Dublin and married Mary Brady and they had a son also known as Dr Francis Cornelius Sampson of Scariff. He married Constance O'Callaghan of Kilgory. Dr Francis C. Sampson Junior lived at Moynoe House at the end of the 19th century.
Egan (Cos Dublin, Galway & Tipperary)
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation, James Egan is recorded as a principal lessor of property in the parish of Clonrush, barony of Leitrim, county Galway. In July 1876 the estates of Charles Egan, deceased, counties Kilkenny, Tipperary, Galway, Kildare, Laois and Dublin, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The total acreage was 3,546 acres, including 1,000 acres at Drummaan East and West, county Galway, 906 acres at Shronell and Ballynahow, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary, all held in fee. Francis Sampson was the tenant of the property in the barony of Leitrim, county Galway. The Dublin Diocesan Archives hold some records relating to Charles Egan including his will, of which Cardinal Cullen was a trustee. Charles Egan was a merchant of 14 High Street, Dublin. He died on 3 February 1870. His will was dated 7 September 1868 and his estate was valued at £160,000 when his will was proved in December 1870. He left various legacies to family members, friends and employees but charities and the Church were the main beneficiaries.
Sampson (Scarriff & Belmont)
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Sampson held six townlands in the parish of Moynoe, barony of Tulla Upper, and also land in the parish of Killokennedy, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare. George Sampson also owned land in four county Clare baronies. Lilla Sampson in her book on the Sampson family gives genealogical trees for the descendants of John Sampson and his wife Marcella O'Callaghan. They had three sons, the eldest of whom was Denis. He married Charlotte Petré and they had a number of sons including John (father of Donat Sampson of Bayswater, London), Dr Francis C. Sampson and George Sampson of Belmont, Castle Connell, county Limerick, who married Anna Lyons of Croome House, county Limerick. They were the parents of Colonel George Dennis Sampson. The Sampsons appear to have acquired extensive estates in county Clare by the 1870s as Donat Sampson of London owned 8,501 acres in the county and George Sampson of Belmount, county Limerick, owned 3,596 acres. They both held untenanted land in the Scariff district in 1906.