- The Bodkins, one of the ‘Tribes’ of Galway, were granted Annagh and other lands in the barony of Clare, county Galway, in the late 17th century. They intermarried with the Brownes of Coolarne, the Brabazons of Swinford and the Kirwans of Castlehacket. In 1808 a daughter, Margaret, married John Bodkin of Bengarra and their grandson, Martin, succeeded to the lands of Annagh following the death of his cousin Robert in 1881. The Bodkin estate was in the parishes of Kilmoylan, Lackagh and Tuam and amounted to 6481 acres in the 1870s. In the 1830s Dennis Bodkin of Annagh acted as agent for J. Bodkin in administering property in the parish of Kilcolgan. The mother of Olivia Mary Blake Taaffe (1832-1918), foundress of St Joseph's Young Priests Society, was a Bodkin of Annagh.
Bodkin (Castletown & Mountsilk)
- From the 17th century the Bodkins were established in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. John Bodkin leased the Castletown estate in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, from the Echlin family in 1776 and the Bingarra estate from the Bodkins of Thomastown in 1789. He also purchased land from Denis Bowes Daly in the barony of Kilconnell in 1794. He became a very extensive stock breeder and land holder. He left his property to his two sons Dominick and John Bodkin. They both were indebted to their brother-in-law, Anthony Clarke and the Bodkin estates were entangled in protracted litigation for a long period of time, resulting in their sale in the Encumbered and Landed Estates' Courts. Bingarra, barony of Tiaquin (bought by Henry Hall) and Ballybogan, barony of Kilconnell (bought by Lord Dunsandle), were advertised for sale in November 1855 and Laughill, barony of Tiaquin in November 1858. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bodkin owned three townlands in the parish of Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe, which were advertised for sale by Thomas James Bodkin in 1864, with Ballydoogan and the islands in the barony of Kilconnell. John Samuel Barrett of Greenhills, was the purchaser of some of these lots. The representatives of Thomas J. Bodkin are recorded as holding over 350 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1808 John Bodkin of Bingarra married Margaret Bodkin of Annagh and their grandson Martin Bodkin inherited the Annagh estate, barony of Clare, following the death of his cousin Robert Bodkin of Annagh in 1881.
- Teige Kelly was granted 191 acres in Creeraun, parish of Ballymacward, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, by patent under the Acts of Settlement dated 1 July 1678. The sale rental of 1857 states that a portion of the lands of Creeran known as 'Burke's Seventeen Acres' was held on a lease in perpetuity from Thomas Burke to Michael Kelly of Creeran, dated 17 Aug 1734. Michael O'Kelly is recorded as the resident landowner of Creeraun in 1814 and 1824. In 1805 he married Margaret Bellew and 206 acres of Derrynasee, parish of Kiltoom, county Roscommon, part of her dowry, subsequently became O'Kelly property. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Michael O'Kelly held in fee the Mountsilk estate in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. In 1838 Michael's son Anthony married Catherine Browne of Ardskea and their son Michael married a Browne cousin of Cooloo. In 1857, 449 acres belonging to Anthony O'Kelly at Creeraun, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway and at Derrynasee, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. Anthony's mother Margaret O'Kelly was the petitioner. Edward Browne of Cooloo purchased the Creeraun acreage. Anthony O'Kelly is recorded as one of the owners of part of the Kilkelly's Summerville estate offered for sale in June 1864. He had bought Moyloughbeg in 1856 from Daniel M. Kilkelly. In December 1865 the sale of Derrynasee was readvertised and appears to have been bought by Raymond P. Worthington. In the 1870s Anthony's son Michael O'Kelly of Cooloo, Barnaderg, owned 3,152 acres in county Galway, most of it in the barony of Ross and previously owned by his uncle Edward Browne. In 1882 Michael O'Kelly's estate of 3,393 acres in counties Galway, Mayo and Clare was advertised for sale. Members of the Kirwan family of Moyne were also parties to this sale. In June 1886 O'Kelly lands at Mountsilk were sold to Michael Charles Burke in the Land Judges' Court. In 1889 Cooloo, part of Creeraun and other lands in the barony of Tiaquin were offered for sale. The Bodkins of Kilclooney bought Creeraun. Many of the O'Kellys settled in Canada at the end of the 19th century and some became distinguished members of the British Army during World War I. On 16 March 1904 1,466 acres in county Galway belonging to the O'Kellys of Cooloo were vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
- The Halls were an English family who settled in the north of Ireland at Narrow Water, county Down, in the 17th century. The Knockbrack branch are descended from a younger son and appear to have begun their connection with county Galway in the late 18th century, when the Reverend Francis Hall became Rector of Aughrim. Family members pursued careers in the army and church. General Henry Hall bought about half of the Tiaquin estate of the Burkes, which was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in October 1851. He built a house in the townland of Knockbrack, which he called Mairwarra, after a place in India, but by the late 19th century the house was called Knockbrack. The Hall estate was in the parish of Monivea, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, and in the 1870s amounted to 4,139 acres in county Galway and 232 acres in county Fermanagh. Pádraig Lane records that Henry Hall also bought the Bodkin estate of 347 acres at Bingarra. In 1906 Henry T. Hall held over 1000 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Knockbrack. Deposits of Hall of Narrow Water papers in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland do not appear to relate to any property in Connacht.
- The Echlin family held land in the Tuam/Dunmore area of county Galway in the early 18th century. Melvin writes that they acquired part of the former Lally estate of Tullinadaly from Baldwin Crowe in 1728. Sir Henry Echlin baronet died in 1725 and was succeeded by his grandson Robert Echlin 2nd baronet. A member of the Echlin family was Dean of Tuam. Elizabeth Echlin daughter of the 2nd baronet married Francis Palmer of Castlelacken, county Mayo, and much of the Echlin property passed to or was bought by the Palmers, including Kenure Park in Dublin. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page.do?page_id=1342