Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
At the time of Griffith's Valuation Doolough was leased by Captain William Houstoun from the Marquis of Sligo's estate and valued at £15. It is now a ruin surrounded by trees.
L846 677 Discovery map #37. OS Sheet #106.
The original house is marked on Bald's map of Mayo compiled between 1809 and 1816 so it was most likely built in the early 1810s and certainly was in existence by 1816. It was constructed as a sporting lodge for the 2nd Marquess of Sligo, who had visited Delphi in Greece. It was leased to Thomas Spencer Lindsey of Hollymount House, county Mayo in the 1820s, to Stepney St George of Headford Castle, county Galway in the 1830s and to the Honourable Reverend William Conynham Plunket, a brother of Bishop Thomas Plunket, in the 1850s. Plunket was succeeded as tenant by Captain and Mrs Houstoun and other members of the Houstoun family. William Weinholt took over the lease of Delphi Lodge in 1884 and it was at this time that the building of a new 'Delphi House' began, which is the house that now occupies the site. When the 6th Marquess of Sligo sold his estate to the Land Commission, he bought back this property and the 20th century history of Delphi Lodge is well documented in the Westport Estate Papers. The house was bought by Peter Mantle in the 1980s and is now run as a guest house specializing in fishing holidays.
L845 661 Discovery map #37. OS Sheet #115.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links