David Gaussen of a French Hugenot family arrived in the north of Ireland in the early 18th century. The family settled at Newry, county Down. Charles Gaussen, a younger son, became a solicitor in Dublin in the first half of the 19th century. In 1827 he married Eliza Hardy and had 2 sons and 3 daughters. In the 1870s he is recorded as the owner of 1,559 acres in county Kilkenny, 817 acres in county Tipperary and 41 acres in county Dublin.