Thomas Joseph Eyre of Uppercourt, Freshfort, county Kilkenny, was the fourth son of John Lewis, Count Eyre, of the Lateran Hall and Apostolic Palace and a member of the Eyre family of Newbold, Derbyshire and Lindley Hall, Leicestershire. In 1861 Thomas J. Eyre marrried Anne Jane, widow of Baron Milford and daughter of the Earl of Wicklow. In the 1870s he owned 762 acres in county Tipperary, 1,909 acres in county Kilkenny and 164 acres in county Waterford. He was succeeded by his cousin Stanislas Thomas Eyre in 1902. In February 1876 the estate of Thomas Joseph Eyre and Robert Farre Dalrymple, trustees under the will of Thomas Joseph Eyre deceased at Carrickbeg, barony of Upperthird, county Waterford and at Figlash, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale amounting to a total of 934 acres. The Irish Times reported in December 1875 that it was sold by private contract to Lady Margaret Charteris for over £18,000.
National Archives of Ireland:
Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Eyre & Dalrymple, 1 Feb 1876, Vol 122 (23), MRGS 39/055, (microfilm copy in NUIG)
National Library of Ireland:
Pedigree of Eyre of Hulme and Newbolt in Co. Derby, of Whillington, and of Lindley Hall, Co. Leicester, Counts of the Papal States and of Uppercourt, Co. Kilkenny, c.1480 -- 1863.
Genealogical Office: Ms.179, pp.93-100