Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
A house located just inside the county Tipperary border with county Offaly. The property belonged to John Shortt in the mid 18th century. When he died in 1768 his widow Frances (nee Spunner) married Jonathan Doolan. Wingfield was occupied by Jonathan's son Thomas Doolan in 1814 and in 1837. The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as the residence of [Paliner?] Thomas Doolan in 1840. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Spunner was resident. He held the property from Jonathan Short and the buildings were valued at £20. Richard Thomas Croasdaile and his sister Margaret occupied the house in 1901. This house is now a ruin.
|Wingfield||Loughkeen||Birr||Clohaskin 2||Lower Ormond||Tipperary||
S020 963 Discovery map #53. OS Sheet #8.
In 1786 Wilson refers to "Land's-town" as the seat of Mr. Rolleston. The home of W. Parker in 1814 and of Mrs Parker in 1837. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to "Landstown, a good dwelling house, the residence of William Parker". He was also the occupant in the mid 19th century when the house was valued at £55+ and held in fee. John Parker of Brookfield and Landsdown married Helena, daughter of George Washington Biggs of Bellevue. The Parkers were still resident in the 1870s. Bassett's Directory of 1889 refers to Charles E. Tuthill of Landsdown. In the 20th century the home of the White Spunner family. This house, built in 1779, was for sale in 1991 (see ''Country Life'' Volume 185). It is still extant.
|Landsdown||Castletownarra||Nenagh||Castletown 99||Owney and Arra||Tipperary||
R748 811 Discovery map #59. OS Sheet #19.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links