Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Glencairn was held in fee by Jervis (Gervase) P. Bushe in 1851 when it was valued at £51. The property had previously been part of a Gumbleton estate, firstly as Ballygarron Castle and later, in the eighteenth century, a house known as Castlerichard. Wilson records it under this name in 1786, describing it as "the beautiful seat of Mr. Gumbleton". Its name was changed to Glencairn Abbey c.1814 when it was substantially altered and extended by Richard Edward Gumbleton. Following his death in 1819 it passed to his brother-in-law Henry A. Bushe, in whose family it remained until the 1880s. It became a Power property following the marriage of Frances Bushe and Ambrose Power of Barrettstown, county Tipperary. It was owned by the representatives of Gervase Bushe in 1906 and valued at £31. The Powers continued to occupy Glencairn until 1922. It was purchased by the Cistercian Order in 1926 and has been home to the Cistercian Sisters since. The substantial steward's house and farmyard [X009983] is now the home of the Barry family who provide guest accommodation there. In 1906 it was also held by Bushe's representatives and valued at £12.
|Glencairn||Lismore & Mocollop||Lismore||Castlerichard 55||Coshmore & Coshbride||Waterford||
W998987 Discovery map #81. OS Sheet #20.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links