Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Hajba writes that this house was the home of Cornelius O'Callaghan in 1750. In 1786 Wilson refers to "Bantyre" as the seat of Mr. Callaghan. Viscount Lismore is recorded as proprietor of Clonmeen in 1814. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Clonmeen Lodge was occupied by George Grehan and held from Viscount Lismore. It was valued at £7+. The Grehans continued to use this house as a secondary residence while their main residence was in Dublin. In 1893 a much larger house, Clonmeen House, was built close to the lodge. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association Survey noted "The Lodge, Banteer" as the residence of Jerome O'Callaghan and stated that the house had originally been built by the Nash family as a fishing lodge. A building is still extant at the site.
W413 987 Discovery map #80. OS Sheet #31.
At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Gortmore Cottage was occupied by Roger O'Callaghan, leasing from Reverend Phillip Townsend, when the house was valued at £11. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association Survey noted that the original house had burnt down in 1911 and a two-storey house was then occupying the site.
W431984 Discovery map #80. OS Sheet #32.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links