Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
Lewis records Ballylane Lodge as the residence of W. Coppinger. At the time of Griffith' s Valuation William Coppinger held in fee at Ballyleaan 142 acres, a lodge, offices and gate lodge. The property was later inherited by the O'Connell family and by marriage passed to John Charles Coppinger O'Connell (later Bianconi) in the 1870s. The mansion house valued at £41 was in the possession of John O'Connell in 1894 and in 1906. Weir writes that the house was completely demolished in 1970.
R244 599 Discovery map #64. OS Sheet #59.
Originally a seat of the Barry family, Earls of Barrymore, it had become a Coppinger home by the mid 18th century. Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr. Coppinger in 1786 and also notes "the castle of Barry's Court". It was the residence of William Coppinger in 1814 and in the early 1850s, when it was held from Sir William Clarke and valued at £22. Following William's death in 1862 this property passed to his nephew Morgan John O'Connell. Bence Jones records it as a ruin but the original medieval castle has been refurbished and is now open to the public. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association survey included a description of both buildings.
W822 722 Discovery map #81. OS Sheet #75.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links