In the 1870s Philip Newton of the Newton family of Dunleckney Manor, Bagenalstown, county Carlow, owned 2483 acres in county Galway, 334 acres in county Roscommon and 635 acres in county Kildare. His addresses were recorded as Loughnavoy, Carna, county Galway and Ballinglen, Rathdrum, county Wicklow. His county Galway lands were in the parish of Moyrus, barony of Ballynahinch, and had previously belonged to the Lynch and Strutzer families. Strutzer had bought land from the sale of the St George of Tyrone estate in the barony of Ballynahinch. 333 acres in county Roscommon belonging to H.P. Newton were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 16 Mar 1916.