At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John Brett was leasing over 500 acres and a herd's house valued at £4, from John Taaffe, at Tullaghaglas, barony of Leyny. Lewis records Glenesk, in Kilmacteige parish, as a seat of the Taaffe family, in 1837. This is Gleneask Cottage, still extant and occupied. McTernan indicates that this property was built by the Irish Waste Lands Improvement Society, when they leased the Taaffe estate in the 1830s.
In 1866, when the property was offered for sale, "Gleneask House" was described as being situated in "most romantic scenery". McTernan writes that this latter property was a hunting lodge built by the Taaffes in the 1850s and demolished in the 1930s