Clonfert Palace was built in the late 17th century and altered in the 18th century. It was the residence of the Church of Ireland bishop of Clonfert until 1836 when that diocese was amalgamated with Killaloe. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John E. Trench was leasing the property valued at £20 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the townland of Clonfert Demesne, barony of Longford, county Galway. In 1906 it was in the ownership of Charles O'Hara Trench. Later occupied by the British fascist leader, Oswald Mosley. It was damaged by fire in 1954 and has been derelict since.