Belview was the main seat of the Laurence family in east Galway. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to "Belle-view" as the seat of Mr. Lawrence "with beautiful plantations". In the 1850s it was valued at £42 and was occupied by Walter Laurence jun. In 1906 it was the property of Rev. Charles Lawrence. It is no longer extant but a famous gateway, erected in support of the Volunteers of 1782, is still visible.