Richard J. Mansergh St George built Headford Castle in the early 19th century. In 1836 Robert Graham referred to an Elizabethan house 'just built', the architect was George Papworth. At the time of Griffith's Valuation it was held in fee by Richard M. St. George and valued at almost £46. Slater noted it as the seat of Thomas McDonagh in 1894. It burnt down in 1906.