This house was originally known as Eyreville and was leased by the Martins to the Eyres in the latter half of the 18th century. Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr. Eyre in 1786. In 1808 it was sold to James Valentine Browne and the name of the house was changed to Brownville. In the later 19th century it was the home of Dr McCormack, the Bishop of Galway. Portions of the original house may have been incorporated into out-buildings at the rear of the site.