Originally a shooting lodge, in the style of a French chateux, built on the shore of Lough Corrib by the Browne family of Castlemagarret and occupied in the late 18th century by a branch of that family. Thomas Elwood was agent for the Brownes in the early 19th century and is recorded as the occupier in 1814. Sold after the Famine to Benjamin Guinness. His son Arthur Lord Ardilaun expanded the building in the style of a Gothic castle. Sold by the Guinness family in 1939 the castle now functions as a world famous hotel.