Ballymackey House is described as "in ruins" at the time of the first Ordnance Survey in the 1830s. An earlier tower house is also shown, described as "Ballymackey Castle (in ruins)". Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to "Ballymakey" as the seat of Mr. O'Meara. The Ordnance Survey Name Books describe Ballymackey House as "an old house adjoining the south side of Ballymackey old castle.....now in a state of total ruin". By the time of Griffith's Valuation, this townland was part of the Cole-Bowan estate.
Most of the site is now occupied by extensive farm sheds though ruins of the old castle are still visible.