In 1786 Wilson refers to Esker as the seat of Mr. Daly, "situated on a lofty hill". By the time of Griffith's Valuation this property was being leased to the Dominican Order by Lord Dunsandle, when it was valued at £20. The Dominicans departed in the 1860s and it became for some time a seminary for the RC diocese of Clonfert. It was taken over by the Redemptorist Order in 1901, in whose possession it still remains. It now serves as a retreat centre.